Detailed Job Description
Job title: Sales & Retail Representative
Reporting to: Sales & Operations Manager
Hours: High Season – 40 hours per week; Low Season – Part-Time. There may be options for full-time work through the low season where preferred and can be discussed.
Location: Urban Bee Supplies: 6721 Ladner Trunk Road, Delta, BC V4K 5C8
Purpose of the position
The Sales & Retail Representative position is the primary sales & customer service facilitation role for Urban Bee Supplies.
Responsibilities and duties
Primary Responsibility – Assisting customers in store, over the phone, and via email with product, service & general beekeeping inquiries. Taking orders from customers and providing product solutions. Processing of orders and payments.
This aspect of the position covers providing customers with high quality customer service and a pleasant shopping experience, to direct them to our product/service/course options, and to help them make informed decisions about their beekeeping purchases and practices (so as to support customer success and local beekeeping culture). In particular this role focuses on helping new beekeepers get paired with the necessary equipment, training and resources. The ability to efficiently process quotes, orders and invoices will be a continuous requirement, as will the correct entry and processing of payment.
Secondary Responsibility – Filling orders from customers, order picking and packing, & preparation for shipping.
This aspect of the position involves filling of orders taken in-store/over the phone/online, for both pick-up and shipping. Complete product knowledge and attention to detail will be required for consistently correct completion of orders. This role is primarily filled by the Warehouse & Fulfillment Manager, but the Sales & Retail Representative will be providing continuous assistance with these tasks.
Tertiary Responsibility – General shop management and maintenance.
This aspect of the position covers the ability to conduct opening & closing procedures including daily sales reconciliation, the upkeep of displays/stocking areas/product builds, maintaining the general tidiness and cleanliness of the shop, and prompt reporting of possible areas of attention especially regarding safety concerns or low quantities of certain stock. Participation in the mandatory year-end inventory. This part of the position can be considered a split responsibility with the Warehouse & Fulfillment Manager.
Note: Currently Urban Bee Supplies engages in very little direct beekeeping, but this role may offer opportunities to do so in the future (including queen bank management or product testing in apiaries).
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- At least one season of beekeeping employment or formal education, or several years of hobby beekeeping experience. Competent knowledge of at least the basics of beekeeping, as well as basic beekeeping skills. Knowledge of beekeeping equipment, tools, diseases/pests and their treatments.
- Basic computer competency, including use of email, word documents, and excel.
- Previous retail, sales and/or management experience is an asset.
- Warehouse and/or order fulfillment experience is an asset.
- Competency with Sage 50 or other invoicing/accounting software is a major asset.
- Forklift competency and certification would be a major asset.
- Significant experience with Excel, experience with use of WordPress or general website management, and experience with use of point of sales devices such as Moneris or Square are all significant assets.
- Some experience with social media and online platforms such as Facebook, Eventbrite, MailChimp, Instagram and/or Twitter could be an asset.
Essential qualities or behaviours
- Social competence, friendliness, and a desire to help customers and maintain a high quality of service.
- An ability to calmly handle periods of high volume in store and on the phone.
- An ongoing interest in the world of bees and beekeeping, and a desire to continue learning and participate in local beekeeping culture.
Desirable qualities or behaviours
- Attention to detail.
- Some scheduling flexibility will be highly preferred for the peak of the season.
- This position will be trained by the Sales & Operations Manager with the help of the Warehouse & Fulfillment Manager.
- Sales & Operations Manager oversees general store management, and will work closely with Sales & Retail Representative on sales and education matters.
- Establishing and maintaining good customer relationships is primary.
- Staff discounts on all item, including bees, tools, hive equipment, etc.
- An excellent way to keep up with the local beekeeping scene, and constantly expand your own knowledge and skill sets from talking with beekeepers
How to Apply
Forward your resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only those who qualify for in interview will be contacted.